Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A New Home


Upon my return to Rockhurst I realized something. Before I had left for the summer, I had walked around the entire campus with this inescapable thought that it would be the last time I would be seeing the Rockhurst campus. I didn't understand it at all because I still had my senior year ahead of me. It didn't make any sense. Still, the feeling sat in my stomach and I couldn't get over it. I started thinking about all of the friends that I would miss if I didn't return to Rockhurst. I have had so many people help me grow in various ways here. I know that the day will come soon, but I just wasn't ready for that thought back in May of my junior year.

Through some reflection time here is what I realized: outside of a new class of freshmen, a giant parking garage, and summer haircuts, nothing has really changed here at Rockhurst. That's when it hit me. I have experienced some major changes over the past summer. I changed. I'm a different person than I was when I left in May. It's a good change. I was moved greatly by the Holy Spirit this summer and I have returned to campus with a purpose and a mission that I didn't really have a few months ago. I think that may explain that feeling that I had three months ago. I was looking at everything for the last time in that particular light; I was going to see it all again, but it would be with a new set of eyes.

Among a few plans including an inter-fraternal Bible study and a Men's Retreat, I have taken on the Spiritual Chair of my fraternity. I have seen how experiencing Jesus Christ has morphed me into a much better person than I was when I first came to college. I honestly have trouble explaining most of it to other people, possibly because I'm not sure if they'll understand. But I suppose that is not for me to decide. My responsibility is to live out my faith so that others may experience Christ's love through me. "Make me a channel of your peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment