Thursday, August 11, 2011

Camp Wojtyla - Someday


Last full day of Camp Wojtyla 2011. This has been the most incredible 2 months of my entire life. My belief in and love for Jesus Christ has deepened - way down deep down in my soul - I've learned well the self-sacrificial love of a true man; I better understand how women ought to be loved and affirmed; the best part...there's still so much more. This is a beautiful life. In general, people don't take enough time to recognize that (I know I don't). And heaven is going to be infinitely more glorious. Wow! God is so good.

The lessons that I learned this summer I will carry with me for my entire life. It was a sad, sad, solemn occasion parting ways with all of the counselors from camp. We talked about it towards the beginning of the summer. The summer will come to an end and we will all go off in different directions, but the impact that we leave on each other will live on; the community we established carries on in a way that transcends the natural world. I begged for some external signs of how I was feeling d
eep down inside. I wanted so bad to have a good cry because all of the people that I was leaving are just so amazing.

It was certainly difficult for everyone, but we definitely cannot have just stayed there forever - not yet anyway. For the time being, it is our responsibility, our mission, to go to the world and share the love that we experienced this summer. The way the world appears now is not what it was made to be. People do not treat others or themselves the way they ought to in order to have pure joy. That is our aim. We will strive to live out a true love in our words
and actions every day. Sometimes we'll fail; that is our human nature. But it is also our human nature to get back up. I learned an important life lesson from the under side of pop bottle caps: Please Try Again. Funny the places that we can find parallels to a Christian lifestyle.

As I close this series of entries, I want to thank some people. First, I would like to thank Jesse Weiler for telling me about Camp Wojtyla. I would like to thank Aaron "Red Beard" Hendricks, Chris "Calamitys" Amateis, and Dot the full-time staff for all of their hard work and dedication throughout the year to make things run smoothly during the summer. Renato Sander, thank you for your help in getting Camp Wojtyla where it is today and for your continued prayers throughout the camp. Sandy and Theresa, and all previous staff thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Counselors of 2011, thank you for being tremendous witnesses for Jesus Christ. Thank you for the amazing community you established full of joy, accountability, encouragement, and love. We have all gone our separate ways, but the impact all of you have left on me will last a lifetime. Annie and Scott Powell. Thank you for making a dream a reality. You faced so many obstacles in making Camp Wojtyla happen, but that didn't stop you from following through. You met struggles head on and never let them get you down. The reality of this camp in and of itself is truly inspirational. Thank you also for sharing your family with all of us. Truly beautiful. And obviously, none of the above is possible without some help from above. Lord, I cannot show enough gratitude for the blessings which you have bestowed upon me and on this camp. I pray that you continue to bless all of the campers and staff on their journey out into the world to share your love. Without you, we can do nothing; with you all things are possible.

The theme verse of Camp Wojtyla: "I came that you might have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10.


I cannot wait to see you all again. You have truly played an integral role in the development of my faith. God bless you all.


In true Camp Wojtyla fashion, I will close with the lyrics to "Someday," a Jamaican song describing what is awaiting us in heaven.

Someday, someday, someday, someday

Someday, someday, someday, someday

Peace and joy and happiness
No more sorrow, someday

Gotta be ready when He calls my name
Gotta be ready when He calls my name
Gotta be ready when He calls
my name
Someday

Trumpets will sound
And all the dead shall rise
We'll walk the streets of gold
Someday

Someday, someday, someday, someday
Someday, someday, someday, someday


No comments:

Post a Comment