Sunday, October 30, 2011

Passivism

I have had a nagging issue this semester. No need to go into details; specific stories are not necessary because I'm sure that everyone has experienced this to some degree at some point in their life. My passive nature has been becoming increasingly frustrating as I want to strive for the best, not only for myself, but for those around me as well. The main balance that I'm trying to find is bringing those around me up without coming off as judgmental. I want to inspire others to be there best that they can be.

It's really interesting: actually telling somebody that I want them to be the best that they can be seems corny and weird; I feel like that is common in society and yet it is so easy for us to throw out words that offend and hurt others. Why is it so easy for us to inflict pain on the people around us, and it is so hard for us to share with the people around us how much we care about them. Which brings up another point, what does it mean to care about someone? Does it mean that we just do whatever it takes to make sure that we're both just happy, warm, and fuzzy all of the time. Well, no. Not necessarily. Sometimes caring for someone means calling them out on behavior that is inappropriate or harmful. I want people to do that for me if I get out of line (which I know has happened plenty). It certainly is hard, but that is what this world is lacking - people who care enough to speak up and take a stand. We're all just taught to "get along" and "agree to disagree." Apathy. It's the worst thing that we can do to ourselves. "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." Now, I'm certainly not saying that I want to go out and lay the hammer down on anyone and everyone who missteps. My purpose here is not to play the judge. But my purpose here is also not to allow the people around me to fall into habits and actions that are potentially harmful to themselves or others. Loving them always. If you happen to have a sure-fire exact equation for how to find that balance, please let me know. Well, I'm done preaching. Take it for what it's worth. My reflection of life experiences. Certainly far from an exact science.

No comments:

Post a Comment