Sunday, November 6, 2011

Protect the Dignity of Women

If you recall last week's post, I had been dealing with my own passive approach to confrontation. I had a dream that I was sitting around a table with some people who were talking disrespectfully about women. In my dream, I slammed my fists on the table, yelled that I couldn't stand it anymore, and stormed out of the room. It was one of those incredibly realistic dreams where it feels like it actually happened; consequently, I woke up very empowered, feeling like I had finally made a stern and firm stance. However, I couldn't help but think that that wouldn't be the correct reaction in that situation. Certainly, my passive approach hadn't been working, but was I going to get anywhere by throwing a fit either? I decided not. There has to be a middle ground. I have to be able to take a hard stance with a serious tone rather than in a joking manner without throwing a child-like tantrum.

I think that I found it! The reality scene was a little different but I was encountered by a similar conversation where the dignity of women was being completely disregarded. In the moment, I simply made a hurried effort at changing the subject. "So that robot that won Jeopardy, that's pretty impressive, right?" Success. That was only the beginning. Afterwards in the car I asked a few of the guys who were there what they thought about the incident. Though I was surprised at some of the responses, I was very glad to have been able to have civil, diplomatic conversation about it. And I definitely made my stance known in a very firm way - with a plan of action to change the way that men treat women (at least on a small scale for now). But that was exactly what I wanted. Effective change doesn't typically happen on a large scale right away. I wanted to start with a small group of men; a small group that I can try to influence who will then hopefully take it to heart so that if they run into the same thing down the road with other men, they will have the courage and the knowledge to recognize and put a stop to it.

Who are the important women in your life? How would you react if someone was hurting them? I present a challenge to any of the men who happen to read this. When you see a woman being mistreated, stand up. Protect her like you would your sister or your mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment