Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Mary Time"

The story of Mary and Martha is one that teaches us how to find the balance between working and finding time to relax. Martha overwhelms herself thinking that she always has to be working in order for her time to be worthwhile. Mary on the other hand, spends her time in the story talking with Jesus. When Martha accuses Mary of not working, Jesus teaches Martha that Mary's time with Him was equally necessary. Nutshell overview of the story.

This fall break, I planned on catching up (and possibly getting a little bit ahead). Well, the body has an interesting way of telling you that you need to just relax for a couple of days. Zero motivation. Unbelievably tired. Instead of hitting the books hard this weekend, I enjoyed the time off and recouped from possible overexertion over the past couple of months.

I have pretty much been on the go trying to anything and everything I can to make sure that my senior year is memorable and fruitful. Over the last week or two, I have not taken the time to just relax and be. This weekend was the perfect opportunity and my body told me to take advantage of it. With six more weeks ahead of me with plenty of work to do, I hope to be able to find the pockets of time to allow myself to take a breather rather than stay in 5th gear for six straight weeks only to collapse for an entire weekend. It's an important lesson to learn. And it's difficult sometimes because personally, I sometimes feel like if I'm not doing something I'm letting someone else down. Yet another lesson in humility. I'm simply not capable of doing everything for everyone. I was talking to a friend last week and I had given her this advice, "You're not that important." She had given the same advice to one of her friends recently. It's funny that all three of us really needed to hear it. The important things will get done when they need to be done. In the times that we can't make it to spend time with friends, there will be other times.

No comments:

Post a Comment