Sunday, October 2, 2011

Geezer, Habitat, Homecoming

Well, the blessings just keep on coming. I had a little bit of a breakdown in the middle of the week getting overwhelmed with all of the work that I am involved in, but the weekend came soon enough and had another memorable one.
Friday kicked off the weekend with "Geezer Fever," one of the sorority's date parties. I was invited by the wonderful Colleen Smyth. This was my favorite theme party I have ever seen. Everyone was just so into it - there were walkers with tennis balls, walkers with toilet seats, gray hair, and retired folks...all dancing to the modern-day rap and hip-hop music. It was hysterical. Then we went to Chubby's for fourth meal (not the typical 2am run that college students often attend, rather, the geezer late-night meal at 10:30pm).

The next morning, I was up early to head to a Habitat build down the road from Rockhurst University. The best part about the day was that there was a perfect amount of volunteers there for the number of volunteer leaders. Typically, with builds like this there are simply too many hands for the work, but I got to work one-on-one with a leader as we hung doors and laid base board around the house. And, although I was not working directly with them, one of the things that I really like about Habitat is that they have the people who will eventually live in the houses help build them. It really gets the volunteers more involved in the lives of the people whom they are helping. And it gives those who are receiving the help a feeling of accomplishment as they play such a large role in the construction of their own home. It was a really great way to spend time with my fraternity brothers for the day - serving others.
The finale of the weekend was capped off with the homecoming dance. Firstly, I went to dinner at P.F. Chang's on the Plaza with Nate Olson and David Wallisch. Then on to downtown KC. The highlight of the night was a tremendous honor. I was voted homecoming king. I was just...well incredibly humbled. The thing is, I feel like that honor is not like in high school where people vote for you because you're the "cool kid on campus." There's more respect in it than that and, again, I cannot say how much of an honor it is to have been voted for it. Praise God for whatever gifts I have been given that made it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment