Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Break











Supposed to be relaxing. Not really the case. Life at home certainly does not stop upon my arrival - not that I expect it to. It is a bit overwhelming when I come home for a break and quite frankly do not get the rest I needed to come back ready to go. For the record, I enjoy being home. I'm just at a point where it is not a place that I can handle for a long period of time. That's life. Anyway, on top of the chaos that is the Langfield household, I had tons of work to do in regards to school and my fraternity. I won't spend a lot of time with details, the fact of the matter is that break was not as stress-relieving as I would have hoped for.
On a positive note, Thanksgiving dinner was as good as ever. We went to my aunt's house and the Italian side shown through like never before. We started with an "appetizer" of pasta, meatballs and sausage (2 servings). Then we had the traditional Thanksgiving meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, etc. (2 servings). I had just sat down on the couch to stretch out when a noise carried from the outside. I'll get straight to it. Five accordions came into the house blaring a mix of Italian music and Christmas music. It was incredible! Everyone got up out of their seats to witness the awesome entertainment. I even went up and danced with my godmother for a song.
Saturday rolled around, and my family stayed true to a 20-year-old tradition of the annual Christmas tree hunt. Up at 6:30am, we drove up to Fraser, CO which is just outside of Winter Park and began the search. This was one of our most time-efficient hunts that I can remember. We got there at 10:30am and had two trees loaded on the tops of the cars before 1 o'clock. My dad was really pleased because us boys did a lot of the work cutting the trees down and dragging them back down the mountain to the parking lot. It was a really great last day at home. So many memories from years past. I pray that one day I can either carry on a tradition from my childhood or develop new traditions for my kids to look back on and cherish.
Overall, not a bad break. Like I said, quite stressful with all of the work that I had to do, but I was still able to make a lot of great memories, spend quality time with old friends and family, and I started learning a new song on the piano. Two more weeks back at school and then I'll be right back at home - hopefully with a lot less on my plate.







No comments:

Post a Comment