Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Squeezing out the Fun












First of all, one of the greatest memories of spontaneity of all time. There were a bunch of Christmas decorations sitting in the Fishbowl for a few days that hadn't been put up yet. I was talking with a friend and we both had that tone of, "It would be awesome if...but we're not actually going to do it" but WE DID! We took the initiative and got a group of people together right then and there and decorated the Fishbowl with Christmas music blaring the entire time. Really got me and everyone in attendance into the spirit of the season.

Yet another fantastic weekend full of great memories. Thursday was one of the most exciting basketball games I have ever been to. I arrived at the beginning of the second half to find our Hawks down 23-20. Not a very active first half. The second half enthusiasm picked up quick as I joined a small group in the Hawks Nest. I inspired some excitement in the small crowd, and we brought the noise! The last few minutes looked bleak, as the Hawks fell behind by 10, but they came back and forced the game into overtime. It took two overtimes to decide the victor - unfortunately, Rockhurst was not quite able to pull it off, but played a great game.

On Saturday morning, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some body paint...one thing led to another and...six of us lathered ourselves up, spelling out H-A-W-K-S-! We ran over to the Field House from my house about two blocks away. It was freezing! Once again, the Hawks were handed a disappointing loss, but it was so much fun being there with friends to support the guys.

Sunday. Football. David Wallisch and I scored some sweet tickets to the Chiefs v. Broncos game. Twenty six rows up from the field. Thank you, Chris Clark, O-lineman for the Broncos. Again, a disappointing loss, but I had a ton of fun with my friend David at the game. Happy Birthday, David!

Monday. (Side note, I have been blessed with such abundance). I woke up at 11 o'clock with every intention of studying for finals; however, I rolled over in my sheets and slept until noon. That pretty much set the tone for the remainder of the day. After I woke up for the second time, I watched a couple of hours of television. I shut off the TV, got my sorry behind off of the couch, having it in my mind that now I should study...three steps later the futon started calling my name. Quite irresistible. I may have fallen asleep, to be honest I can't really remember for sure. Well, I came to again and decided again that it was time that I should probably buckle down...or go for a mind-clearing bike ride to Loose Park. I weighed my options and the bike ride won out. Just what the doctor ordered. I sat underneath what has become my favorite tree at the park. After a while of thinking, I did something that I hadn't done in a while...I started climbing. I climbed pretty high. It was really cool to see the rest of the park from a whole new level. I climbed out onto limbs a little ways too, which was really uncomfortable, but so exhilarating. It was the perfect summit to my unplanned personal day off.

Whew! Tuesday. On Tuesday, in addition to finally getting some studying done, I went over to David's house. I got the honor of joining David for a very special occasion. David has served at St. James Food Pantry and Community Kitchen, which serves over 250 meals every night, every Wednesday for the past 2 1/2 years. For his 21st birthday, David started a fundraiser for St. James in which he was looking for 100 people to donate $21 each for $2,100. Also, he spent almost the whole day baking over 250 cupcakes for the less fortunate who find themselves at St. James on Wednesday. Shout out to you, David! Inspiring. By the way, if you feel moved to donate at all, you can find more information on his website, davidwallisch.com.

I cannot thank God enough for all of the blessings in my life. Prayers for all of those who are less fortunate during this Christmas season, especially all of those who count on and run St. James Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment