Sunday, November 14, 2010

5120 Brunch, Swing Dancing





My housemates and I had our first official brunch on Saturday. Yes, it was at 1:15 in the afternoon, but that's why they call it brunch, right? It reminded me of home. Every Sunday growing up, my dad would cook up a big breakfast for my whole family. I have helped him a couple of times and cooking for eight people is not easy. Three people is a little more reasonable. I will consider it training for when, God-willing, I have to provide meals for my family.

Now, as cool as it was to get a taste of home (yea, pun intended) the true highlight of the weekend was this. At 2:30 in the morning on Saturday, Nate and I were up together watching the last 45 minutes of Pretty Woman, eating spoonfuls of cookie dough when the idea hit me. I said to Nate that we should both get dates and take them to a dance hall. We both had someone in mind. Unfortunately, I did not have any way of contacting mine outside of sending a message over Facebook. So, at 2:30 in the morning, I sent my offer and then went on to be quite restless throughout the rest of the night.

Pleasantly surprised, I received a text message later that afternoon with a positive response. I'll give you a picture: my face, I smiled, nothing outrageous; on the inside...I wish I was better with words so that I could think of a worthy analogy to describe how excited I was that she wanted to come. Although I hadn't spent very much time with her before last night, Kelsey Carver is a really awesome girl. It was certainly an honor for me to have her come.

Disappointing because I would have like to dance more with Kelsey, but it makes for a funny story from the evening, during the swing dance lessons we had rotating partners, so we only got to dance with our dates one out of every 15 or so ladies. In addition to that, we brought the average age of this place down to about 60. We all took it well and had a blast though.

I look forward to doing more stuff like I did this weekend. Over the past couple of years, I have developed more appreciation for the company of other people, and more of a distaste for retreating to television or movies as a source of entertainment. Game night in the near future? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment