Monday, September 5, 2011

Nature's Call...Don't Worry, It's Not What You Think

I went on a camping trip over Labor Day weekend that was organized by a young adult Catholic group in Kansas City. The event is called, "Nature's Call." For me, it was really refreshing because usually when I have gotten together with large groups in that type of weekend setting, there's a lot of talks and personal reflection and "let's get really close this weekend and pretend we're going to keep in touch after we leave." This was nothing like that. It was organized, but unstructured fun all weekend long. We just hung out together - going swimming in the lake, playing lawn games, cards, there was an Iron Chef competition, a greased watermelon game in the lake and a live band at the marina.

Now, contrary to the point I made at the beginning about meeting people and then pretending that we're going to keep in touch, I met a handful of people that I really would like to keep in touch with. One guy, Kiran, who I met there (he ended up staying in my tent because he didn't have one) works at an Indian Cuisine restaurant in Overland Park called, "Chilli n Spice." He invited me to come to the restaurant sometime. And we're friends on Facebook now which makes the friendship official (sarcastic).

So the main point that I would like to make clear through this entry (which also relates to my experience this entire summer at Camp Wojtyla) is that living a Christian lifestyle often has this misconception of only being a list of "Dos and Don'ts" and you're condemned if you don't follow the rules; the real truth of the Christian life being that having a right relationship with God and others and living life to the full is actually FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment