Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Present is a Gift

I am so incredibly blessed. The past two weekends have been just what I have needed. On Friday evening I had some friends over to the house. Originally, we were going to have a fire in the backyard, but the weather didn't cooperate so we moved the party inside. It's interesting how what you're doing is not nearly as important as the people with whom you do it. All present: Nate Olson, David Skelton, Josh Hollis, Frank Kane, Colleen Smyth, Anna Stroop, Maddie Burkemper, and Wils. We didn't do anything special, we just sat in the living room and talked and played a board game, but it was simply perfect.

The next morning, the girls and I went to the Farmers' Market just outside of downtown. It was a really awesome atmosphere down there. I saw God in so many ways there this weekend. Very clearly in the girls, but a couple of observations I made really made an impact. First, I saw a brother and sister interacting with each other. The older brother was probably about 8, and the younger sister about 3 or 4. It was so awesome to watch the older brother taking care of his younger sister. He was holding the umbrella over her head when it started raining and had his arm around her. The second impact observation was seeing an older couple walking around the market. With the inexcusable behavior of men in our country today who don't take responsibility for their actions and don't remain committed to their promises, it is so incredibly refreshing every time I see a couple who has been together for many many years - not to mention, the wife was not in great physical health and the husband was taking care of her in her frail state. Doesn't get much better than that.

Well, two weekends in a row now of having great opportunities of simply being present with those I am around have provided a great remedy for my feeling of detachment from Kansas City and from college and my friends here. I have been thinking too far into my future about what is going to happen after I graduate and that had been preventing me from enjoying the present moment.

Don't just survive. Thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment