Tuesday, March 8, 2011

FOCUS Greek

I went to a FOCUS Conference specifically for members of Greek organizations over the weekend and it was fantastic. FOCUS has played a pivotal role in the recent development of my Catholic faith life. The awesome thing about my spirituality becoming so strong is that it dominoes through all of the other aspects of my life. My leadership in my fraternity is certainly one of those aspects.

Being the president of my fraternity, I have learned a lot about what it means to be a servant leader. Servant leadership is an emphasis within FOCUS. My role as president requires a lot of me in regards to being there for my brothers. It's interesting because I think that the role of a president gets misconstrued too often as the guy who tells everyone else to do. While that is true to some degree, the other much more important part about my role as president is being there for my brothers. This lesson can be applied to parts of my life outside of my fraternity as well. I believe that we all have a level of responsibility to everyone around us, not just our friends or the people with whom we most like spending our time. This is the type of leader that was Christ. He took on the responsibility of serving those around Him; He also spent a lot of His time with the sinners of the age. You don't have to be religious, or even believe in the same religion as I do to know that everyone looks for a leader to serve them. A leader gains a lot more respect from his followers if he is walking the path right along with them. That is what I strive to do in my fraternity and that is what I challenge myself to in my daily life.

In short, I love that the lessons that I am learning through my faith are applying to the experiences of my daily life. Even for people who might not necessarily be of the same religion, the principles of the Catholic Church, I am learning are applicable to and are so true to life. Beautiful. And I still have so much more to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment