Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mozart Reincarnate?


One of my friends, Brian Golka, and I began composing a song on the piano on Thursday evening. Now, both of us have had quite a lot of experience with music and so we both know a thing or two about it. We're not writing an entire symphony, it's really just a very simple chord progression with a pretty easy melody. The overarching plan is to add several different instruments to the mix and put together a set list. I have been playing piano for about 8 or 9 years and Brian has been playing the drums for, well a long time and has a lot more experience with the drums than I have with the piano. We have other friends that are extremely talented on other instruments such as guitar, bass, saxophone, vocals, and...accordion! One of the things that excites me about this whole experience is that we planned on meeting for just an hour that first evening and, while we really only worked on the song for that hour, we spent 3 or four hours just talking about all of the possibilities that could come out of this work.

We want each song to have something different about it. Different genre, key signature, theme, anything else that you can think of to have variety in music.

No doubt, this is the most exciting thing happening in my life right now. Now that I've said that, I'm not really sure why, but playing the piano always relaxes me (and I've dabbled on the guitar as well and that's always awesome as well even though I only know a few chords). Music, behind camping and fishing, is my most cherished hobby. If I get good enough, I would like to combine the two and play the guitar around a campfire while I'm camping. Can't think of a better way to spend a weekend! Oh and I can't have a campfire without s'mores, so whenever I take 5 from playing the guitar, I'll have to make sure to fuel up for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment