Monday, February 16, 2015

I Live with Virtuous Men

(February 13, 2013)
Over the past 6 months, I have been living in community with three guys. Eight months ago, we were complete strangers. Today, we are brothers; we share in the mission to bring the light of Jesus Christ to the world (starting with Benedictine College...baby steps :), we have shared gut-wrenching laughter, failures from our past and in our current ministry, struggles, joys, discernment, everything but the kitchen sink. Well, we haven't shared the toilet or the shower either...I guess we have shared the kitchen sink.

Though there have been numerous occasions for which I have been proud to know these men, today marked an incredible moment. We're a house of four men so, naturally, there is a monthly issue of Sports Illustrated that makes its way to our mail slot. Last month, as I was flipping through some sports-related articles, I came across the page advertising for the February annual swimsuit edition. Now, I love my sports. Grew up playing them, watching them, buying apparel for my favorite teams. The first thing I will say is that I must have missed something along the line when they introduced a degradation of women into the sports arena. My parents never bought me a jersey for that one. Maybe I just wasn't introduced to it. I don't think we have a professional team in Denver.

Well, when I came home this afternoon, there it was. The swimsuit edition sitting on the floor at the bottom of our staircase leading into my home. Without hesitation, I walked it up the stairs and took it straight where it belongs: the garbage. I walked passed the garbage can a little later on in the day to notice that it appeared to be gone. It was then that I realized the courageous men that I live with. Shreds of pages were torn up amongst the old banana peels, empty cans of beans, and other worthless items. These men are willing to take the necessary measures to ensure that if there is even any sort of temptation intruding our home that could lead any of us into sin, it must be properly disposed of. Completely. I have never been more anxious to take out the trash.

Men, if there is anything in your life that needs to be disposed of, take the necessary measures. Don't let anything enslave your thoughts or actions. If you need to, completely destroy whatever it is that leads you away from becoming the BEST MAN you can be - for God, for your future wife and family, and for yourself.

Do everything for the greater glory of God. Be virtuous.

Thank you to the men of the Green Door - Aaron Lofy, Brian Limas, and Jeff Traughber - for sharpening me as a man as iron sharpens iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment