Thursday, June 2, 2011

Shadowing at Rehab Facility Provides More Lessons Than Career Direction

I took a step towards figuring out more about the world of physical therapy (and occupational therapy). I got to shadow my cousin who is an occupational therapist in Denver. It was an inpatient facility so everyone with whom he worked was staying at the hospital because they were incapable of living in their own home safely. This was a brand new experience for me to be up close and personal with people who really couldn't perform basic functions of everyday life. One word - humbling.


Who's to say that I won't wake up tomorrow and not be able to even roll out of bed. Granted, these patients were mostly older, but still. The simplest tasks - tying your shoes, brushing your teeth, taking a shower, taking a poop - I take for granted that I don't need other people to help me do these things.

Anyway, I was told that I should expose myself to both OT and PT so I got my exposure to OT and at this point I'm leaning towards...not OT. I got to follow a PT for a little while, but not enough to get a great idea. I'm planning on shadowing my other cousin who works more with athletes in physical therapy. That's where I think I want to be if that is indeed the direction I want to take. Been in touch with a couple of offices out in Kansas City, trying to get an internship for the fall. Which brings me to another development (well, possibility). I might be buying a car this summer. All my life I've been putting a portion of my summer earnings into savings, never really knowing what it was for. Well, now I've got something on the radar that I could possibly be using it for. I'll throw a picture up if the plan goes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment